Thursday, March 11, 2010

Having a birthday?-expect a gift. Having an anniversary? - expect flowers. Having an evaluation at work? - expect a raise. Buying a movie ticket? - expect to eat popcorn. Eat a dozen Krispy Crème? – expect to feel bloated and gain a pound or two. Mopping the floor? Expect someone to walk on it before it is dry. As pictured above, get married and expect to live happily ever after without conflict- Not! We all could go on and on with our lists of expectations. There have been some high expectations Planet Carol put out there that resulted in horrific letdowns (I am not exaggerating!). As a result I taught my children the no expectation principle- don’t have expectations and then you won’t be disappointed. There have been times that has been a very helpful principle, but truly a sad outlook for relationships.


As I have submitted this planet of mine for refining, energizing, and well just a general let’s start over and update this old model- I have found that in my difficult circumstances I have forgotten the truth about expectation. Oral Roberts said it best over and over in his ministry- Expect a Miracle! There is One in Whom we can have the highest of expectations and that is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit! Psalm 62:5 says “My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from Him.” Determining not to expect from others created a false sense of power within myself and years of letting myself down repeatedly was more painful than others letting me down.

Now I know- all my expectations are from the God who loves me, lives in me, fills me with His Holy Spirit and is there 24/7 ready and waiting for me to respond to the miracle He planned especially for me today. Our present world overall is full of hate and calamity, but God has not changed and holds love, contentment, and satisfaction in His hands we can enjoy daily. I wonder what it will be today…………………….

No comments:

Post a Comment