Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Fantasy is great. Dreams are great. They often build hope within us when we feel lost. After all if Meg Ryan can find true love in Paris and the Book Store Owner can marry a movie star in Notting Hill there may be hope for those looking for love. Empty glass slippers in all sizes and shapes hiding in the hands of a prince of a guy somewhere out there! If Harrison Ford can prove his innocence after being charged with the murder of his wife perhaps our hope for justice will grow. He further saves his family from the Terrorists who take over his home -perhaps our hope for safety in a dangerous world will emerge. The problem is when we live our life in fantasy rather than allowing it to be the entertainment and fun it is designed to be.


The photo above is a family favorite. My Mom is married to her best friend’s brother, who in turn married my Mom’s brother. That put them in life together forever- sharing the good the bad and the ugly no matter what. Behind those bars in the photo are a lot of good memories. But for those of us who have been to jail to visit family or friend- how different the reality is! There are no Aunt Bea’s bringing baskets of home cooked food- today you can’t even see the person- you talk through TV screens.

“You couldn’t possibly understand what I am feeling” becomes the cry of any of us when fantasy depicts the opposite of our experience and hurt and resentment can grow like dandelions in the summer- ruining our view of what we have- we can only see the weeds. In the darkness this past year I hit a path of weeds that stalled me completely. I saw them as separate from me- something that crossed my path I had no control over. That was true in the beginning, but I allowed them to grow and multiply as I responded incorrectly to the situation. Psalm 112:4 says, “Even in darkness light dawns for the upright, for the gracious and compassionate and righteous man.” (Message Bible) My new favorite phrase has become I am nobody (me) with somebody (Jesus) living in me! It is His view of the situation that brings the dawning of light. May I have His eyes today………..

No comments:

Post a Comment