Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Over the weekend I co-taught in a teacher training seminar with someone I had been instructed with on the National Level. It was my first time to actually do it and she had done it several times, so I readily agreed for her to take the lead. Up front she informed me she had developed her own “somewhat unorthodox” methods. I didn’t have time to discuss what that meant exactly so let it go. I made a decision right then and there to not be bothered by anything and just be grateful for her willingness to meet what was a pressing need here in Louisville.


Within the first hour it was clear unorthodox meant we were not going to follow the training book at all! Having the position of leadership over this program in Louisville I had to take a moment and declare I would be at peace no matter what. As we progressed into the day I jumped in to clarify and demonstrate what I considered important parts being missed which she gracefully allowed and appreciated. At the end of our first 10 hour day she grinned at me and said, “I was worried about this. At National you seemed to be a really strong by the book person.” I laughed and said I could be flexible! She said she could too and keep jumping in anywhere I felt necessary. I did and at the end of the next 10 hour day a dozen people left excited with the tools they would need to be successful.

Admittedly I was thrown off by her assessment of me at National. We only had a couple of conversations and none of them long. She sat at the front of the room of over 50 people and I was in the back. Yet she perceived "I was by the book" in that short encounter. There was a time I would have been proud of that perception, but I am not any more. Us “by the book” people often have tunnel vision. I have been known to take the Bible and only see what I want to see and what I’ve got down pat. As I resisted allowing my vision to broaden and let the Holy Spirit guide me into principles and truth that I needed I realize now I was simply not willing to embrace anything outside my comfort zone. Perhaps Planet Carol needs to review some skipped passages- I might be perceived a bit more appealing by those whose orbit I cross……

No comments:

Post a Comment