Thursday, September 2, 2010

How many stop signs have you run? How often do you get a ticket? I don’t know the answer to how many, but I do remember the one ticket! The price however only had a minimal effect- I don’t even remember how much it was. Now don’t misunderstand- I am not a reckless driver, but at the same time I seem to find myself heading under the yellow light watching it turn red quite often. Be assured that the family whose loved one was hurt or even killed as a result of someone running a red light never does that and has choice words for those of us who do.


Stopping is not related to going. People who don’t go anywhere or do anything live at the stop sign. They are robbing themselves of the adventure and pleasure of things to come down the street. Only those of us who are moving need to learn how to stop. When our movement becomes routine and pressure driven we will also miss the adventure and pleasure of things we are passing. Regardless of our hearts to be a blessing we become a danger to others when we miss the stop sign in a state of complete oblivion to those around us. It is a scary moment when you get home and realize you really don’t remember anything about the trip.

Many of us are in rebellion as adults. Who are you to tell me to stop? You tell me to stop eating- I tell you to stop smoking- you tell me I am too busy- I tell you to stop taking drugs- you tell me to stop yelling- I tell you to notify your body language that you aren’t upset- you tell me…..STOP THE MADNESS! We are very poor at affecting change in others as hard as we may try. But I do have control over myself. Today I am asking myself why I want to learn to stop. Here are two thoughts for those of you enrolled in the Stop, Drop, and Roll Class:

1. I am unhappy with my present physical health and if I do not choose to stop some things I am no different than someone suicidal- inevitably my life span will be affected.

2. Running into things affects parts of us that we need in order to live an abundant life. The fall into the swing left a bruise on my forehead and pain in my shoulder. An encounter with a family member left a hurt in my heart. Expectations not met left a separation in friendship. Not going to bed left me exhausted without strength for a new day. On and on the examples go!

Clearly there are some lessons to be learned here. I think I will stop and meditate awhile……..

1 comment:

  1. Well said Miss carol! I am praying for you. I, as well have some things I need to stop. I NEED to stop wasting time in my everyday life. I Need to be quick to listen and VERY slow to speak about some issues in my life. I have to stop believing the lie that i will never be healed of my spinal problem if my heart towards others is not perfect. Thanks for the heart reflection moment. Love you.

    ReplyDelete