Thursday, September 15, 2011


Towanda strikes again!  I will never forget walking up the sidewalk when my grandchildren were about three and five and finding my daughter swinging an axe. Her son also had an axe and little bit had a hammer both swinging helping Mommy tear down a metal shed in the backyard.  Thus the name “Towanda” was born.  My daughter can go for months or even years like all the rest of us with a project list somewhere around the house we plan to do “someday”.  Then out of nowhere- when you least expect it- she decides to take on the outrageous do it yourself plan.   Since the shed she has taken on other jobs including going on the roof to install air conditioners and tearing out her bathroom floor and creating a one of a kind tile floor which is really quite creative. Last week Towanda appeared again and I was sent this photo of moving the dishwasher and sink.  The stove and refrigerator will go next as this room is being changed to my granddaughters bedroom. The dining room will become a great room including the kitchen.  Having never recovered from the metal shed incident, she knows I won’t be over, but appreciates my cheering her on exchanging texts and photos.

When the project is finished she will bask in the victory of overcoming another hurdle in life.  Accomplishing something she feels very important to her family’s comfort and well being.  As a Mom I would like for things to happen a little easier.  They are a very typical hardworking American family living in a time where extras are hard to come by for all of us.  I am thankful her response is not to give up, but always believe what you really want can be possible if you take action.  Motivation is not my strongest point these days.  I stay very busy with my piano students, family, and children’s ministry yet there are other things that have remained on my project list I still have yet to attempt!  When Towanda is finished and I go and see the new rooms perhaps I will gain courage to take a step of my own…………..

No comments:

Post a Comment