Monday, September 26, 2011


On a day quite far in the future I will be someone still cute but old.  I can picture it now and there is not one doubt that I will still direct my life. Today as I write I confess for its true-even now I’m not good at doing what I am told even if it is really best for me!  I am asking God to help me to recall my mother’s laugh at eighty-one and her reaching up to kiss my cheek.  As short as I am she is still very small to me (though my family declares I am shrinking right now!).   I consider her a hope image of many things I’d like to be.  Her mother lived till 96 and I expect that she will too- another reason to rejoice in this day!
 
A call came Friday night as Mom had taken a fall, so my evening of shopping alone with the windows rolled down enjoying a gorgeous night was detoured to the emergency room.  The wait was long even though she had come in an ambulance. My sister came with dinner- it was so good and her presence brought sunshine to Mom in the moment.  Thankfully all x-rays and CT scans showed no breaks or problems.  We headed home close to midnight by way of McDonald’s for a happy meal- a favorite treat when Mom misses supper.
 
Later as I drove myself home in the middle of the night having settled Mom and tucked her in bed there was a joy that rose in my heart. Smiling and giggling alone in my car my love for Mom just consumed me. I grabbed a pen to make a few notes as I never want to forget this moment of reflecting upon sharing life with her. When I bring her four cases of Diet Pepsi, three boxes of Kleenex, and twelve rolls of toilet tissue she does a little dance of delight like a child on Christmas Day.  She always reaches out with grateful hugs for any thing I do- I realize it’s the simple things that truly make her feel secure.  Heartfelt appreciation for simple tasks done- so lacking in a world of demand!  Mom can’t remember what she had for lunch, if anyone called or came by.  However she’ll tell me the food was good, and she has been busy and having lots of fun! 
 
For many more years as I prepare to leave her home I’ll get repeated hugs, kisses and waves goodbye!  Since it’s hard to imagine what exactly I’ll be like in this far in the future day- I am writing these thoughts so I can compare my behavior with Moms- one who is a special joy in my life today………




No comments:

Post a Comment