Thursday, September 1, 2011

The beautiful quilt my grandmother gave me while in collage is now frayed showing the wear and tear of regular use over the years.  At the end of most busy days you will find me wrapped under it on the couch reading. I am still comforted by it’s warmth in pink, green, and white hues which match nothing I own!  While savoring this moment my husband comes in and sticks a Roma tomato in my face.  Slightly irritated I look up and see a glimmer of tear in his eye.  “It’s a tomato” I said.  “Yes’ he replied, “But not just any tomato.  Today our grandson came to me when we arrived at his house after school holding both hands out each holding a Roma tomato.  He said, “You pick one Papa.  I want you to have it.”  I realized they were from his first garden tended completely on his own.  I couldn’t choose so he handed me the biggest!”  We have the tomato pictured above on the kitchen window sill- I don’t know if we will ever eat it!

The true value of a thing is very personal.  Quilters would scold me and say you have ruined a valuable work of art that is probably worth a good price.  Yes, it has been a gift of love that was given to me which I have kept close by my side. As the commercial says, "It is priceless.”  Tomatoes are eaten by the millions every day without a thought, but none of them were grown by our 10 year old grandson who will carry on a love of gardening that started with helping Papa as a toddler.  Gratitude:  thankful appreciation for favors received.  Feeling alone, unappreciated, taken for granted, overwhelmed?  Look around, perhaps in your house you will find a memory of a moment when someone truly cared or looked up to you.  Whether you do come away empty handed (which I sincerely doubt you will) or not- join me as I open the front door and walk outside gazing at the sky and feeling the warm breeze ripple through my hair.  Repeat after me:   “You are the God who sees me!  Genesis 16:13”.   There is nothing like gratitude to change your outlook on life!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely one of the most precious things I have ever read:) I love AJ so much....and I love the sweet relationship he is sharing with Daddy! This is so incredibly heartwarming...I feel like I read an excerpt from Chicken Soup for the Soul:) Really wonderful writing momma!

    ReplyDelete