Thursday, September 8, 2011


After descending the 75 step spiral staircase I knew I was in trouble.  I was sure the brochure mentioned something about 50 steps.  The trail ahead was full of steps!  It was the final day of Grandma Camp and I wanted the day to be perfect. However, my granddaughter was in a skirt and we were both wearing flip-flops- such great preparation for a cave hike!  Retreat was not an option and our early tour was with just one other family so it was very relaxed.  My grandson took the lead with the guide and was in heaven learning some new things, but of course also discussing his knowledge of the cave creating equality between the guide and himselfJ.  My granddaughter was more cautious and early on noticed my slowness to bring up the rear. 

The cave was beautiful and interesting so it was easy to distract her away from my struggle in the beginning, but when she hollered out, “Slow down, grandma needs a minute!” the truth was clear to all.  Thankfully no one commented.  About fifteen minutes later the sixth staircase of 20 or so steps appeared. I consulted the guide about exactly how far we were into our journey.  He assured me we were close to the end and then would simply retrace the path.  I climbed the last twenty steps finding myself on a small bridge with a river rushing under my feet. A short distance away a beautiful small waterfall appeared.  My favorite thing- a photo spot! 

Finally we turned back.  I didn’t voice any concern, but then I heard-“Hey you guys, wait for grandma!”  Soon after the guide announced the lights were going to be turned off and we would experience total darkness.  When the switch was hit immediately my grandson was hollering “I can see!  I can see!”  The guide patiently explained that his eyes were trying to find light and that causes some people to see flashes while their eyes adjust.  My granddaughter, clinging to me tightly, clearly stated at least five times, “I can’t see anything.  Turn the lights back on.” 

It was soon over.  Everyone disappeared up the staircase except for the guide, my granddaughter and I.  I offered to let the guide go ahead since it would take me longer, but of course he had to be last.  We started up.  It wound so closely you couldn’t see more than three steps ahead of you.  At ten steps I was already deep breathing and took a break. I started stopping a moment probably every six steps or so. My breathing became so obvious my granddaughter asked if I was going to have a heart attack.  I assured her I would make it fine- just slowly.  Then we heard my grandson yelling from somewhere above us, “Come on you guys- there are a lot more steps!”  After a couple more stops he hollered the same thing again.  I spoke to the guide behind me whom I couldn’t see, “We are at least half way, right?”  He assured me we were and thus the journey went slowly to the top, with grandson hollering down and granddaughter all but attempting to carry me! 

Upon reaching the final step the guide appeared behind me.  I had enough strength to say "chair" which he graciously led me to. I sent the kids to get our water bottles in the car.  We sat for twenty minutes until I was breathing normal and laughing.  It was a great time overall and a beautiful adventure drive home using unfamiliar roads to reach the city.  When we met up with my daughter I simply said, “Sweetheart your Mom has a very healthy heart.  I passed my stress test today.”

No comments:

Post a Comment