Thursday, September 22, 2011

“He’s eight.  I read an article about this.  All children are hideous at the age of eight.”  So says Tom Hanks in Sleepless in Seattle though he has a discussion with his son after the incident. I have an eight year old grandchild and teach many eight year olds piano.  Believe me there is nothing out there for you to read to be prepared for emotions of an eight year old!   In addition if you think you know what they are thinking you may be delusional- more often than not it is not at all what we think.  It is shocking how many times I have corrected a mistake during a lesson only to be glared at by an eight year old who declares. “That is what I just played” in a grumpy smart aleck tone.  Upon convincing them of the correct way I have never received an apology without asking for it. This is Happy Music Class and I am committed to making every lesson fun.  There is no ruler slapping fingers, but I have been known to withhold a sticker or use five minutes of a lesson to teach about respect.  My attitude has changed in recent years from one of disgust that this child should know better to one with more sensitivity due to the fact I know nothing of what they experienced that day or any other!  The lack of respect and undisciplined behavior is appalling in this generation.  A photo sat on my parent’s dresser of all of the children with the scripture taped to it-

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”  Proverbs 22:6
The first half of this verse is our job- the second half is our faith.

Unsettling is putting it mildly that every eight year old has a friend at school or in the neighborhood who is dealing with divorce, has a parent in jail, knows about a family losing their car or home, and often even someone abused.  My grandson upon arriving at camp for the first time this summer announced loudly at the registration table, “My Mom is a lawyer!”  He also let them know he didn’t like the time supper was being served.  He was ridiculous in choosing his bunk complaining it was too hard.  None of this was normal behavior for “Mr. Socialite” and of course my daughter pulled him aside for a serious talk.  Then I figured it out.  He had some fears in spite of his excitement of going to camp. I handed my daughter a snack before I left them to chat longer.  He was too busy jumping off the diving board to wave goodbye when we left, but the reality check that even the safest places we have investigated thoroughly may not feel safe to a child today.  We cannot do enough to love and protect them from all we can.  They are hearing things we wish they didn’t’ so listening and helping them process is more important than ever.  If you cross the path of an eight year old today smile, hug them, make them laugh.  For most of us the world was easier to deal with when we were eight…………

No comments:

Post a Comment