Friday, January 8, 2010

We are having a beautiful snow in Kentucky- the kind with huge flakes that makes you feel like you have entered a new universe when you walk out the door. Everything is covered with several inches of fresh snow and even those who hate the cold and are inconvenienced by the weather cannot deny the beauty of it. As a childcare director for 16 years I occasionally walked to work in a snowstorm as we had a “never closed” policy due to medical personnel using our facility. I will never forget the worst storm- I was the only one out and walked down the middle of the road the whole way feeling as if I had been beamed to a universe that was all my own for that hour- one that was fresh and beautiful with only my steps behind me tainting the flawless picture. Of course I was ready for heat and coffee upon my arrival to the center, but the moment was great and I was truly refreshed by my hike. A glance out the window throughout the day brought the memory and feeling of it to mind and refreshed me again. Even today years later that memory brings a feeling into my being of the “surreal moment” I experienced that day.

If it is true as I stated yesterday that God is at work in me energizing me and creating power and desire within me I am curious to know exactly where the activity is taking place. My body craves the strength but my mind needs the desire to take action. As I meditate this thought I am reminded of the many moments I have shared with the Lord in my life over the years and several supernatural experiences I have had. If you have trouble believing the truth of what I am about to say I encourage you to consider at least what the feeling might be if it did happen. I was about 24 and still new and not completely comfortable in lifting my hands when praising the Lord. One Sunday morning my love for the Lord was so intense I lifted my hands and I just didn’t want to put them down. As we sang songs of praise my arms began to hurt, but I still didn’t want to put them down. At some moment in the midst I felt fingers in my hands and the pain left- I knew an angel had come and was holding my arms up for me. It never happened again, but every time the thought of that experience comes to me I am encouraged by the knowledge I am never alone and there is strength right there with me and my desire level increases.

It is my mind that needs to be renewed- convinced of my convictions- stirred into passion to take action on something. My sputtering planet gave in to the thoughts of self pity, feeling alone in my circumstances, that I alone had no value in this life- that my struggles were only increasing pain for others and I couldn’t stand being the cause of pain in their hearts! I was giving in to the thoughts consuming the moment of my circumstances- but there were other thoughts to have! The thoughts of the friends and family that were in fact standing with me at that very moment- I had never stood alone! Thoughts of the many times God had graced me with the right words and strength to say them. Thoughts of peace that covered me like a cozy quilt when things looked the worst. Thoughts of Jesus having walked ahead of me in every other circumstance of life paving the way for me to make it just as a human shepherd goes ahead to make sure his sheep will be safe and cared for (read “a shepherd looks at Psalm 23” by Phillip Keller) . Perhaps if I can get my mind to sort out thoughts and hit the delete key quickly when the thought is not going to guide, strengthen or refresh me there is hope for not only a restored planet, but a better model built to last many years longer………………………..

1 comment:

  1. 'My body craves the strength but my body needs the desire to take action.' Yes. You wrote the words I've been trying to think of for almost a year now. And the whole blog really. We are not alone. My desire is to be a better wife and parent to my family. To not only be joyful and love life when I'm ministering but in my personal, not seen on a daily basis life also. God sees the real me, and I want the real me to be seen every second of every day... I have some deleting to do as well. :)

    ReplyDelete