Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Everyone has a list whether or not it is written down. I think of the scenes in “It’s a wonderful life” where George Bailey grabs the loose cap on the staircase over and over. The cap represents the list we just can’t seem to get to and YEARS go by and it remains undone. This past Saturday, empathizing with my husband’s list, I offered to pick up a paintbrush and stain the outdoor swing. The list had worn him down- after 35+ years of not allowing me to touch his paintbrushes etc. - he agreed.

The day was perfect. Clear blue skies and about 68 degrees. Planes from Thunder over Louisville provided a private backyard show. My working motivated him to mow and move mulch and he kissed me every time he walked by (so that’s how you get that attention!) At the end of the day I was very proud of my work and happy to have helped my husband move on. Then I woke up the next morning. Pain!-it that has stayed with me every day since. Advil and Bengay providing only moments of relief- I could care less how wonderful the swing looks!

Someday it will be gone, but the true issue is why it is there? Planet Carol has always been the director, the pianist, the creator who works very hard, but not in manual labor.

The paint brush stroking and the bending for the stain made parts of my planet work that rarely moved before. For a couple of hours I happily engaged them in this workout! The ensuing pain blared the message I was out of shape! Whether we are short, tall, skinny or chubby this experience comes if we have not been using all our parts. Any area can be out of shape. If we work hard manually day after day our ability to relax may be impaired. If we talk all the time we may lose the ability to listen. If we ignore our spiritual development we become alone and empty. Now I am contemplating other parts of me that are not being used.

I doubt I will pick up another paintbrush any time soon, but perhaps a walk around the block and a little stretching may be needed to resume orbiting in better control……….

No comments:

Post a Comment