Friday, September 7, 2012

 
 
Unexpected gifts for absolutely no reason at all bring the greatest pleasure to my heart.  This lovely basket with perfect homegrown tomatoes and a few small carrots was left on my table last night.  There was a note that I might want to take up basket weaving as a hobby.  I asked if they had made this basket and they admitted they had made a few, but this one came from Good Will.  I loved it just as much!  Actually I have a friend who wins awards for her wonderful handmade baskets.  I would love to add this to my list of twenty other hobbies all waiting to be pursued!  How refreshing though in a world that never sleeps, rests, or stops it is to think such a pursuit truly possible and still happens somewhere in the world.
 
We are all keenly aware of the phrase “random acts of kindness” and how true it is when someone does the unexpected it lifts our spirits and we feel better about ourselves.  Friends love one another and yet we rarely surprise the other with that extra bit of attention and thoughtfulness.  A while back I was in line in the pharmacy line and a young girl was $5 short to pay for her prescription.  She was begging a relative to lend her the money and they would not and I have no idea the reason why.   I happened to have $5 cash on me and stepped over and handed it to her.  She was immediately in tears of gratitude and thanked me over and over!  The relative glared at me.  The attendant said that was such a great thing you did for her.  Others just wanted the line to move.  My mind swiftly reviewed a great many memories of having to put groceries back, say no to my children when my heart was saying yes, not getting to go to lunch or movies with friends, and by-passing new clothes and haircuts along with my husband so we could give to our children just to name a few.  Five dollars is nothing and yet at times of need it can feel like a hundred. 
 
I am sentimental and have many treasures, but reality is stuff is stuff.   Just like someone else’s junk in a yard sale becomes another persons treasure may God give us grace to always share.  Our world needs sparks of surprise to build hope within our discouraged minds. I actually have started making a list of people I want to bless with cards, writing or other ways.  A moment of giving is truly a moment of living a valuable life…………

No comments:

Post a Comment