Friday, May 20, 2011


Seeing a light to guide and make me feel welcome in the midst of my storm. Discovering myself by a fireplace that is burning brightly and generously providing me warmth for my freezing hands and feet.  Smiling spontaneously at the antics of an innocent child when hurt is assaulting my heart.  Seeing a miracle appear for the one for whom I can do nothing to help.  These are a few of my favorite things.

I personally know no one who is not touched by the troubles of this world.  The sad song sung by slaves in bondage “Nobody knows the trouble I’ve seen” could become the next national anthem.  Nashville country singers are joined across America singing "gloom, despair, agony on me; deep dark depression, excessive misery; if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all... gloom, despair, agony on me..."  Those of us who care and remember better days may actually be made to feel guilty if we rise above this mindset experiencing victories in life!  We are sometimes made to feel guilty if we have a reason to celebrate when others are sad. Thousands of volumes of books have been written to declare the unfairness of class distinctions in life caused by money.  Do we now think that if we have no happiness no one else should either?  Mahalia Jackson wrote:  Soon I will be done with the troubles of the world, troubles of the world, troubles of the world.  Soon I will be done with the troubles of the world-I'm going home to live with God!”

I don’t disagree with her lyrics and agree wholeheartedly with the ending.  Time is flying by so quickly and there is a place we will go.  It’s just that I personally agree with Mary Poppins:  “Just a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down…”  I agree with Pollyanna and feel the “glad game” should be played daily!  I agree with the scripture that says “the joy of the Lord is my strength!”  I for one am going to savor every moment of happiness and goodness that comes my way hoping the pollen of if will spread to those I meet. Only God can work a miracle, but I can be light, warmth, and a smile to those who walk into the pathway of my life………………….


1 comment:

  1. my Favorite of all you wrote. Love you sis

    ReplyDelete