Saturday, May 7, 2011


Glamour abounds right beside gaudy (no this is not me, but a derby fan on the street) for two full weeks in Louisville prior to the Derby Finale the first Saturday in May.  Opinions come in all the extremes of the hats on the radio and newspaper about the affect on our city.  The truth is this festival offers such broad choices that everyone in the city will enjoy some aspect of it.  Concerts of all styles of music from Contemporary Christian, Old Time Jazz, lots of Country and Hard Rock gone wild; fireworks from backyards to the festival opening “Thunder Over Louisville”; Cotton candy to Caviar; Homeless to Hollywood Stars all share the ambiance!  I remember one year I was working with the elderly and took a group to the Galt House Senior Day. I saw Ed McMahan get out of his limo and being the shy person that I am went over and asked him to greet my group.  He shook everyone’s hand on that bus and some of the ladies wouldn’t wash their hand for several days they were so mesmerized that he got on the bus and greeted them.

We work for vacation, TGIF comes from everywhere on Friday in anticipation of something fun on the weekend, and many like me decorate their home for every holiday!  No matter what the celebration there are those who choose immoral acts; those that flaunt their superiority; those that showcase their generosity; those that overspend affecting their ability to pay next months bills.  As I orbit the city during this time I am who I am by the grace of God!  I will show hospitality, pray for safety, love the fireworks, and award the grandchild who chooses a horse that shows with a ribbon.  Everyday is an opportunity to be like Jesus in our actions.  He will be at the track today.  His purpose will not be to help you pick the winner, but rather join you in enjoying what is good and spreading His unconditional love to all who will encompass it.  He is not illusive or exclusive- He is here!


No comments:

Post a Comment