Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Fear of love. It is a powerful axiom controlling behavior in this day and time. So many hurts and betrayals swirl around in our hearts. They are fed constantly by unresolved and impossible to resolve issues in our lives. Did I say impossible- the optimist accused of having enough mercy to try and get the devil saved? Yes. I now understand that it is possible only when both sides trust the love of the other completely. If this miracle of restoration happens we must work to keep it strong. But the work is simple. Just obey the only commandment singled out by Jesus as most important:

“…As I have loved you, so you must love one another….” John 13.34

My granddaughter’s tennis shoes are one of the pairs in the photo above. I never have had any desire to put my person on a ride that throws me around and upside down! Truly I can’t even watch (my daughter took the photo)! I think that tops the list of why I resist receiving love – what might love ask me to do? My son asked me to ride a rollercoaster on his birthday one year. I couldn’t say no on his birthday! It was a near death experience never to be repeated! However, he remembers it as a special act of love from his Mom. I wouldn’t have done it for anyone else. If I declare love for you what might you ask from me? Yet here I am confessing to be ardently in love with Jesus who said I must love you.

I am determined to deal with fear. Perhaps you would like to join me on my new rotation around the universe. We will travel it trusting Jesus love one day at a time- “...Perfect love casts out fear…” IJohn 4:18. There is no condemnation here because I am well aware of all the repairs yet to be done. Jesus loves me this I know. Sing along with me a revised version of this tune from “The King and I”……

Whenever I feel afraid
I hold my head erect
And whistle a tune of Praise
So everyone will suspect
Jesus Loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment