Wednesday, February 29, 2012


Yesterday I was spending quality time with my mom who struggles with short term memory issues. She asked me what day it was and I told her January 28 and talked all about leap year being tomorrow (which of course is today).  “Then why are we taking Valentine’s Day decorations down?” she asked, “It isn’t for two more weeks…”   Caught in my mistake we started the conversation over. Mom was really enjoying this and laughing suggested I may in fact be the one who needs help with her memory!  This is not the first such incident to occur during our time together.  Mom is always making me laugh at myself and it feels so good.  Somehow it seems that the more time I reflect upon who I am and where I have come in my own life I find the negatives want to push to the forefront and take the lead.   Having become a more avid listener I sadly must report this to be true of many of my peers.  Where are the happy people?

Today I want to thank the following people who no longer live in this world for mentoring happiness in my life.  By the grace of God I will be on someone’s list one day…:

                 Aunt Betty:  The aunt with no children of her own who spoiled me rotten, sat at the dessert table with me on thanksgiving until we had tasted everything, got away with telling my military father to chill, and on whose driveway I first kissed my husband.

                 Dad:  Wearing an old straw hat he sang “Down by the Old Mill Stream” with Mom every Friday night.  This was the end of a Friday night ritual to the then five(later six) of his children who chased peanuts down the hall, blew bubbles all over the kitchen with straws using dish soap, and performed our show of the week. Those nights were priceless as strict rules reigned the rest of the time.  He loved and respected my husband of choice and made him feel esteemed.  This military man who mellowed over the years in the end tried to teach me what he hadn’t always known- lighten up!

                 Dan and Barbara:  Their love and hospitality liberally shared with us as newlyweds green around the gills was inexhaustible.  They always had time for us as if time stood still and they had no one else in the world to talk to or help out.  I didn’t know till years later the heavy burdens they carried in life during that time as they lived so relaxed and content!

                 Bob and Eddie:  Their door was open twenty-four seven.  As a college kid know it all these retired missionaries loved me and respected me for where I was in life.  They made me think, but didn’t correct.  Through the years from a distance they continued to build me up and cheer me on to do anything I felt God put in my heart.

                 Panky:  My husband’s great aunt who sent the most outrageous cards we ever received no matter what the holiday. A family favorite was a greeting from Hell, Michigan (a real placeJ).  We have a Christmas one received years ago that we still put up in December.  The woman refused to be serious ever!!!!!

                 Jane:  She loved to shop and saved coupons for me to use when I came to visit.  Having a good time was priority and she loved to laugh.  Always thinner and more current in her fashion look- yet she always made me feel beautiful.  She appreciated everything I ever did for her with enthusiastic sincere gratitude.  Though greatly suffering herself was quick to put my need on her top ten prayer list.

                

1 comment: