Thursday, May 23, 2013

Happy Birthday To Me



Every year it is the same.  There is some chip in my brain programmed to go off when my eyes open on May the twenty-third.   I automatically begin to sing “Happy Birthday to me”. This morning I had an audience including a bright-eyed eighteen month old curly headed boy, a dozing husband with his coffee and a bustling young mother getting ready to leave with the baby at 6:30 a.m.  For the baby’s sake of course, I had to repeat the song over and over just to see him clap at the end. Now all is quiet and reflection begins.  It’s really the big six-O!  Somewhere in the night my identity has been stolen and here in this chair is a new person!  Early on in life you look forward to sixteen and twenty-one.  Thirty is overwhelming.  Forty just passes by.  Fifty seems to be the year of acknowledgement- I had 50 sheep in the yard and was taken camping and canoeing and everyone came out of the woodwork to wish me well.  Sixty?  All I want is a simple, stress-free, weekend.   The party girl doesn't want to party- she wants to enjoy whatever the moments bring and not be responsible to accomplish a thing!  Last night one of my daughter’s families called to wish me a happy last day of fifty.  My granddaughter said, “You are not old grandma.  You will always be my young blonde grandma.”  Her words inspired the following list I've created today to maintain my identity and send the thief running!
Hair dye
Respond to healthy living tips
Laugh daily
Lighten Up about Everything!
Encourage Others
   Love the Lord with all my heart 

Of course there are volumes of how to books available- just this morning the book “Younger Next Year” was recommended to me.  An avid reader I will probably look for a copy.  But the truth is that I do love birthdays.  I love that I was created and then blessed with a great family.  Surrounded by friends I have never been alone even on my worst day.  A spoiled rotten brat who has new dreams and visions brewing in my future!  Watch out world- I am not fading- just switching into a new gear and truly thankful for life…………..

1 comment:

  1. In Nov. of 2009 you posted your first blog. Just prior to that you posted your profile which said you were looking to find planet Carol. It is now 4 years plus later since that profile was posted. Who and where and what are you now 4 years down the road from beginning to seek who planet Carol is ????

    ReplyDelete